Monday, February 25, 2008

Biking in the real live world

Look I now have a picture and a new blog Template. I will have to keep working to make my blog pretty. I was looking at my fellow rider's blogs, and many of them are prettier and more complicated then mine. I will have to actually spend time some day, but it is currently very far down on the sticky note listS of things I need to do. Sometimes I feel like making list is more discouraging then helpful. As emphasized by the S on listS my todo list is rather long. I hope to get thank you notes for the time being crossed tonight. Hopefully someone else will donate, and I will have to add it again to my list. My current total is $1750. I would like to thank Lara H., Andy T., and Kelly D. for the donations. I have finally gotten up the nerve to start asking all of my friends for money. I know most of them are broke like me, but even a $5 donation gets me that much closer to my goal. (I only need 450 more people to give me $5). The more I work on this fundraiser, the more I realize that part of the goal of this trip is not only to raise money but also promote awareness. If someone can't donate to me, then I hope that at least they begin to think about this issue. Maybe further down the road they will donate either time, or money to this cause. The following people and businesses that supported me on day three and four of door to door fundraising: Evalyn G., David and Jean P., Joe P., Sarah and Bill W.,and Sproul's Furniture Store.

Today it was way too beautiful to stay inside and do my work, so I finally fixed my bike. (This is my mother's bike, I am still trying to figure out what bike I want to cross the USA on) It's chain was unhappy, so I put lots of grease on it and then wiped it off again. It seamed to solve the problem of it jumping between gears. I have a feeling that my bike repairing skills will improve on this odysseys. I then had to test out my bike, and went for my first bike ride outside in months. it was a beautiful day: Blue sky, above freezing, and no wind. It felt like spring was here, but it doesn't look like it was here to stay. Tonight it is supposed to snow. Boo on that. I think winter has had its chance, and now it is time for spring. Although it was warm, it really wasn't warm enough for shorts. Oh well live and learn. Although I did not see quite as many bears, or space stations my ride was vastly superior to riding on the stationary bike. The sights along the way were a Junk Yard that had various school buses, and decrepit cars, a man clearing ice off his driveway with a tractor the size of a riding lawn mower, deer in the meadow that were still enough that I am slightly convinced that they were fake. Next time I ride by I will have to check and see. If I remember I'll keep you posted on the realness of the deer.

Ok I think it is time to correct some math homework. I am correcting Calculus II, and for the most part it is not the calculus that the students are having a hard time with, but the algebra. Although I keep trying to tell myself that can't be that bitter about it, since I know that I have made many an algebra mistake in my life. Me and Algebra actually usually are in a fight.

In closing I ate all the fruit snacks, and tonight in an attempt to replace them I made green jello. Did you know if you eat jello to early it is not as jelloy and much more liquidy. I just hope it doesn't continue to jellify in my belly.

No comments: