Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't tell my Mother

It has happened, today I played bridge instead of doing my work, or going to the gym. Don't tell my mother because she will say: I told you so, once you learn how to play bridge it all goes down hill from there. Before I know it I will flunk out of school, and have to beg my parents to have mercy on me so I can live in their basement. But on a happier note: I had good cards, and me and my partner won the majority of hands. Since we were only going to play a couple of hands, so we weren't keeping score. It turned into quite a long couple of hands. Oh well looks like tonight will have to be a long one.

I did have a new exercise adventure. Since my roommate has been sick, and I no longer have anyone to convince me to go to the gym. Yesterday I didn't convince myself until almost 9PM to exercise. The pool on campus is either open early morning, noon, or 7-10. None of those really are when I want to go, so I think this was the second time I have gone swimming in the last six months. The water was very thick, and the very difficult to swim through. My weak little arms were not happy with this new form of exercise. They like it much better when I bike or run, because all they have to do is sit there, and sometimes move back and forth. None of this being responsible for the moment of an entire body. They were very vocal in their unhappiness. I could also swear that the pool was not just 25 yard pool, but at least 50 meters. My arms were not the only part of me that informed me that swimming was NOT a good idea. Since I haven't swam regularly since high school I didn't have either goggles or a cap. So my eyes were exposed to the chlorine, and this is never a good thing. Now, I have to open my eyes under water, cause if I don't I run into things. I try only to open them when I am breathing, but this never really helps. The other problem I had forgotten about it when I swim without a cap, is that my hair is not long enough to stay in a ponytail. So my bangs were always in my face. I could kind of alleviate this by breathing every third stroke. But since I am in such horrible swimming shape, I can do this for about 6 strokes, and them I am out of breath. In the end I just decided to kick for most of the practice. I could even wear my glasses while swimming, and the world returned to being in focus. Without my glasses I am legally blind. The big E I haven't been able to see it in years. This rant does have a happy ending though. Today I had to go to the mall, so I was able to buy both cap and goggles. So now I am ready for my next swimming expedition. I just have to motivate myself to go again... Tomorrow is bridge night, maybe I'll go and swim after that. I feel like if I call my exercising expeditions, or adventures it makes them much more fun.

In closing I have no new donation to report, but I would like to thank the following people who supported me on day two of fundraising, which is my most successful day to date. I raised $495 in one day. I walked along Main St. Damariscotta, and along West View Rd. The following businesses donated: Elinor and Anita's, The Mediterranean Kitchen, and Scarborough's Collision. The following individuals also donated: Lynn A., Peter D., Teresa B., Robert and Patricia K., Frank and Cynthia K. I also received donations from the residents along West View Rd. Thank you all for your support.

Ok now it is time for me to go back to the hyperbolic world. I have to write up the proof that if two lines are asymptotic parallel to a third, then they have to be asymptotic to each other. It isn't that bad of a proof.

One more thing. I bought FRUIT SNACKS!! As you can see I was pretty excited.

No comments: