Thursday, February 7, 2008

The day of the less then one Mile run

See I can almost make a title for my blog post be without a number. Weather today ICKY. Cold rainy rainy cold turning to cold rainy icy. So in the long and the short NOT biking weather, but gym going weather. In the beginning all three of the bikes with monitors were filled. I though ok, this will be a great time to try cross training. There were many a treadmills that was free. Many people enjoy running on treadmills. It can’t be that difficult. I even have been know to use them before. All those bad memories I have of them, could not be true. So I get on said treadmill, and press the HUGE green button that says start. Then it tries to give me all these options, but all I want to do is run. I get to what feels like a reasonable pace: 6.3 (I have no idea of the units for this number). Not fast in anyone’s book, but I am still just warming up I tell myself. When I watch people on treadmills I feel like they pick a place to run on the belt, and that is where they stay. When I run I feel like I sway back and forth, and also can’t quite keep an even tempo so I always have the feeling like I will shortly either be running off the front, or falling off the back. Sometimes I feel like I look so bad that a cop will come into the gym, and arrest me for operating a treadmill under the influence. I will have to say, no officer, these are just too complicated a piece of machinery for me. The other image I always get when criticizing my treadmill form is the hamster that can’t quite figure out it’s exercise wheel. At some point the wheel gets the better of it, and it end up stuck inside the wheel going round and a round. Luckily nothing like that happened to me today. I was running along for what seemed like forever and a day, when I look down and realize it hasn’t even been two minutes. I knew that it is going to be a very very long workout. I convince myself that I can do this, running in place can be entertaining. So after another 5 minutes of endlessness I decide that I will call it a running warmup, and then will see what other machines are available. I even bump the speed up to 6.5 units for the last 3 minutes in attempt to switch it up a bit. I think I look down at the time about every 3 seconds. As I watch it count down the last 10 seconds I successfully use the HUGE red stop button. But at the same time I do manage to hit the headphone wires to my Ipod shuffle and it goes flying. I know that the entire row of ellipticals behind me saw. My roommate was on one of then, and yes she did make fun of me. In 10 minutes I ran an impressive .92 somethings I’m assuming are miles, and don’t have it in me to run .08 somethings to get a nice round one something. I will be the first to admit that running fast is not my forte. I used to joke that the only time I would run if a large man with a VERY big stick was chasing me. By this time one of the video bikes were free, and I get on it. My legs inform me that no they do not like this new work out routine. They like the one where I sat around all day much better. So I pick out a work out with nice rolling hills called Apple Grinder. It was a nice country ride through the brown and yellow fall trees. It was much more entertaining then the treadmills. I didn’t even look at my clock until over five minutes had gone by. As I was riding along I was thinking about what I could include in today’s blog entry. Of course now I don’t remember all the brilliant things I was thinking about, other then the trees looked really fake. This time instead of getting greener as they got nearer to you they got browner. I ended up riding 7 miles, plus a 3 min cool down, and was rather proud of meself. Other than that today was pretty uneventful. Tonight me and some of my friends played bridge. We are just learning how to play, and don’t really have all the strategy down, but did have a quite a lot of fun. I think anyone with bridge knowledge would have just shook their head at our technique. Most importantly my team won. We were awesome! Now I have successfully avoided the work I was supposed to have done by writing this one massive paragraph. I figure it’s not a long entry if it is only one paragraph. Right?

No comments: