Saturday, February 9, 2008

The first whole day I went without updating

Yesterday I biked through the stars. It was quite exciting, although there were not animal sightings along the way. I did wonder how I was able to breath out there in the vastness of space without a space suit, but apparently they have developed the technology so that there can be floating bikeways in space. As you can apparently see, I believe everything that I see on my television screen. If it says I can bike in space, then I can bike in space. Maybe my next goal should be to bike across space. Although in the words of Douglas Adams "Space is big, I mean really big." Ok so maybe that is not the exact quote, but it is pretty close.

Now on a more real not I painted today. I pained walls, base boards, ceilings, floors, boots, sweatshirts, pants, newspapers, plastic, and probably some of my fellow workers. Of that list the first two things are actually the only things that were supposed to get paint on them. I have five different colors of paint on my hands, but what is most impressive is I didn't even use black paint, and I have some on my hands. The reason I was painting is I did my first day of work with our local Habitat chapter. We went to Cortland to work on a house that is two weeks away from completion. The owner was there working with us, and she was so excited about the house. She had picked out different color's for each of the rooms. One of the other volunteers described the house as the happiest house ever, because the color were so vibrant. I spent most of the morning painting the mud room caramel. We were using Dunkin Donuts coffee cups as paint cups, and except for the mud like consistency of the paint we probably could have fooled someone into thinking it was coffee with cream. For lunch we went to a deli where I got a veggie sub that had so much stuff on it I had to eat it in two parts. It was amazing. In the afternoon I helped clean brushes, painted a baseboard, and worked on painting the living room paprika, and a green color. Not colors that I would have picked, but they did look good. And finished with painting one of the walls of the dining room a darker green. I think my favorite room that she had was one of the kid's rooms that was green with a darker green pattern on one wall. Then she painted a black square on the wall that he could use as a chalk board. It was pretty cool.

As I worked today I decided I have two goals for my habitat experience. I hope to get experienced enough to know what needs to get done on a job site, and have the skills to do it. I spent a lot of time standing around today, because I didn't know how to continue. My second goal is to be able to finish a job, and say hey that looks like it was done by a professional. My painting today was not bad, but me and my paintbrush got in more then one fight where it wanted to paint something that I did not want painted.

Well I'm off to some exciting Saturday night activities such as writing my biography in two pages, and correcting math homework. I am so very excited!

No comments: