Sunday, March 2, 2008

28° is not to cold to bike.

This is from 3/2 it just took me a week to post.
Went for a bike ride outside today, and it was glorious. Well actually my feet disagreed completely with the previous statement. They informed me about 1/2 way through that they were not a fan of this biking outside business, and were cold and wanted to be home now. I informed them that they had over 11 miles till they were home. They did not like that answer, and proceeded to get to showed their dissatisfaction by getting colder and colder. I was afraid by the end I had frost bite, but they warmed up quickly in the post bike shower, and there was no toe falling off. Next time we are going to try different shoes, warmer socks, and a higher level of ignoring them. I will just inform them that they are not allowed to fall off, and of course they will listen to me.

My ride today according to Google maps was 23.8 miles, and was relatively flat. In fact I did a circle around Steventown Hill, although to my knowledge I did not go through Steventown. When you bike outside the limits of the Ithaca Township the houses I biked by changed immensely. They are much more run down, and I biked by at least two businesses that were shut down, one of which was a gas station/quick mart. Although I have been lived on the Ithaca campus now for 3 years I rarely made it outside of Ithaca. There are popular bumper stickers that say: "Ithaca: 10 square miles surrounded by reality." Today as I was biking this became more and more evedent. One of the things I biked by was a board with Keystone light cans hanging from it, and it was labeled Redneck Wind Chime. It made me laugh, but it also made me realize that the city of Ithaca I know is limited only really to the campus. I live in a severely sheltered world, and I need to venture outside of it much more often.


No comments: