Monday, April 7, 2008

Swimming without a suite

Today I did Ed Psych all day instead of going for a bike ride in the 50 degree weather. So I decided I would go for a swim tonight as my excise. Now as a leftover crew benefit I have a locker in the Hill Center, where the pool is. My suite and towel have been living there since before spring break. I went to open my locker today, and me being wicket intelligent cannot for the life of me remember the combination. So as fun as skinny dipping in a public pool sounds, I decided against it. Instead I played Euchre. hmm... maybe not the smartest use of my time, but by the time I biked home and got my work out stuff so I could go to the gym, I would have been way too far behind schedule. Plus I now had an extra hour that I wasn't exercising that I could use to play games without getting behind schedule. Well at least at the time it sounded like a great excuse.

This weekend though I did end up doing both the Biking and the Building. I went and volunteered at the Corning Habitat for Humanity ReSale store. It is supposed to open next week. It was fun to get back out in the community again. I got to play walky-talky. I worked with the electrician to figure out what outlets and lights were on what circuits. Since the panel was in another room, and we had no modern communications devices I was the middle man, and yelled to the guy at the panel what the girl standing at the outlet had to tell me. I think was I find so interesting about Habitat Houses is they do not have all the bells and fancy toys, but they get done. Because they have the manpower of volunteers they can take a little longer, and use three people on a job, that having the right tools could be done with one. We did find out that practically all of the outlets in the entire show room were on the same breaker. Me not really knowing that much about electricity knows that that is not a good thing. They were going to fix that real soon.

So after I got home from the build I decided that I was going for a bike ride. I found a good map of the area surrounding Ithaca, and immediately the road Midline jumped out. I being a math nerd was super excited. The Midline in hyperbolic space is the only line between two divergent parallel lines that is perpendicular to both lines. Non divergent parallels don't have a midline. So after not really having studied the map that hard I went off biking in my adventure. Along the way I actually had to strip down layer, and it was the first time this year that I could comfortably wear shorts. Ok there have been other warm days, I just haven't gone biking on them. Now a Suz bike ride usually consist of me biking along a road for a while, and then deciding to take the next turn that appears, and then biking on that for a while, and then turning again until I eventually deciding that I should start attempting to get home. My main goal is always to try and do a loop, and take a different route home then I used to get out there. The challenge here in Ithaca is how to make a long bike ride, and avoid the hills. But Saturday I had a goal: Midline Rd. I did have to stop a few time and look at my map, cause I had no idea where I was. Also Midline was a bit farther then I was expecting, and I ended up biking home when it was a tad bit darker then I would have normally like. Overall though it was a good ride that google has told me was 23 miles. Unfortunately my new bike still has not arrived. I think it is anxious to make the trip across the country and started without me. So if anyone see a blue Surly Long Haul riding along alone, will you please kindly point it in my direction.

So this day of both biking and building made me pumped for this summer. Even thought there is only a few days since my last post, I got a new donation since I last updated. Thank you Lorraine M.

Now I must return to the world of Ed Psych.

1 comment:

Claire Waller said...

well I am failing on all fronts on the caffeine deprivation. It has been a losing battle since the birthday coffee. Sadly a month later, 3 more have been consumed. Tragedy all around.

More on topic: games instead of exercise. This weekend spent the better part of an afternoon doing "gymnastics" (low-level.. carwheels, somersaults and tripods)instead of going to the gym. hopefully better times ahead. haha.